Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Miracle by Elizabeth Scott

Megan survived the plane crash—but can she survive the aftermath? An intense, emotional novel from the author ofThe Unwritten Rule and Between Here and Forever.

Megan is a miracle. At least, that’s what everyone says. Having survived a plane crash that killed everyone else on board, Megan knows she should be grateful just to be alive. But the truth is, she doesn’t feel like a miracle. In fact, she doesn’t feel anything at all. Then memories from the crash start coming back.
Scared and alone, Megan doesn’t know whom to turn to. Her entire community seems unable—or maybe unwilling—to see her as anything but Miracle Megan. Everyone except for Joe, the beautiful boy next door with a tragic past and secrets of his own. All Megan wants is for her life to get back to normal, but the harder she tries to live up to everyone’s expectations, the worse she feels. And this time, she may be falling too fast to be saved

I am such an Elizabeth Scott fangirl. Her books are always highlights of my reading year (love that she has been such a prolific writer since debuting with Bloom) and Miracle was no different. 

Quiet, unassuming and utterly compelling. This novel was, in parts, relentlessness and terrifying. Yet Scott balances it beautifully with hope and the tiniest spark of life just in all the right places.

I love how Scott writes the bare bones. These succinct, achey sentences. Not quite telling the full story and yet creating a perfect whole, somehow. This style, written sparingly, brings so much depth.

The thing is: I read it whole one quiet afternoon. Found it utterly compelling and heartbreaking and a touch surreal.

And now, weeks later, I am still thinking about it.

I am not ashamed to say I cried in this book. Not just for Megan, but maybe in part for myself. Even though I have no cause to suffer from PTSD, I think all of us can relate to those feelings in some way.

This book felt like the real deal. Not another YA book with a gimmicky catchy hook. Not trying to please a crowd. But as if it was written from somewhere deep inside the character's soul. I don't know how Elizabeth Scott does it. But I hope she never stops.

I wasn't intending to review this due to time. But I just wanted to say something because this book has said something to me. I loved it. I recommend it.

Miracle on goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I *really* need to read some Elizabeth Scott. I keep meaning to--I just haven't gotten around to it yet (excuses, excuses...). This sounds like a really good book, so I'm thinking I should make it my first Elizabeth Scott book.
    Book Light Graveyard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, every time I hear people rave about ES books, I want to go read them - and then I find that I don't love them like everyone else. I had a real hard time with the last two of hers that I read. Still love Living Dead Girl and Love You, Hate You, Miss You, but the rest have fallen short for me. I feel so guilty. *buries head*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only read one of Elizabeth's books (Something Maybe) but I do plan on reading the rest because they all sound brill! Loved this post, hun!

    And thank you for the lovely comment on my vlog a couple of weeks ago <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)