Saturday, March 12, 2011

Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers


From the author of Cracked Up to Be and Some Girls Are comes a gripping story about one girl’s search for clues into the mysterious death of her father. 

When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of whyWhy when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? 

When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?

I am a HUGE fan of the lovely Courtney Summers ~ yet I have mixed feelings about this book.

Fall For Anything has a very different vibe to her two previous novels. It is less energetic and in your face. It has a quieter vibe ~ yet I think her writing style is just as brilliant as ever. It feels like a more sophisticated work than her previous novels ~ the prose is gorgeous and the sentiments and themes HIT HARD.

It's a BRILLIANT portrayal of grief and confusion and loss ~ which works particularly well against a back-drop of art and with a main character who is just at that perfect coming-of-age age :).

The emotion just OOZES out of the pages.It's an addictive read ~ grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go. I loved the quiet intensity and the way Courtney Summers just throws the reader into the world making you feel all lost and swirly alongside Eddie.

I would give the prose 5 starts straight up. 

BUT as for the actual story ~ for some reason, I just didn't particularly enjoy the plot. There's no doubt it was intense and beautifully, achingly written.  I love the way she built the mystery and the creepy vibe that gives the astute reader clues that Eddie in her grief is oblivious to.

I wanted to crush on Milo ~ but didn't really. He held himself too aloof and some of his actions didn't make sense to me, even in hindsight. One particular secret he kept from Eddie (despite her constant distress) turned out to be so anti-climatic when revealed that it made me wonder why that sub-plot had been so built-up to begin with?


Despite being sucked in and more than a little in awe of so many crush-worthy sentences, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I had hoped. I felt like the plot floundered a little (I grew tired of the secrecy with Milo and the hopping from one place to the next when I could already see where it was all headed). It creeped me out a smidgen (in a sick in the tummy way) and it just wasn't completely my thing. I found myself feeling uncomfortable while reading this and a bit disturbed, haha.

I recommend this if you are looking for an intense, well-written exploration of grief with a tiny bit of mystery and a creepy guy thrown in :D

Have you guys read this? What did you think?

13 comments:

  1. I worship the words Courtney Summers writes, I agree, her prose is freaking brilliant :) I can see what you mean by the plot jumping a bit, but I really liked it because it kept everything moving :p And I'm a bit sad you didn't adore Milo like I did, but I know what you mean by the anti-climactic scene, I felt the exact same way.
    Anyways, lovely review as always Nomes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first Courtney Summers novel and I enjoyed it. I think it is because her characters have such an honest voice. I do agree Milo and Eddie's relationship could have been developed more. Another brilliant review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Courtney Summers ! You're right - her prose is amazing! I have Fall for Anything on my shelf. I am a little disappointed to know that the plot isn't that great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this might be a case of where you expected something a little different because of your experience with her previous novels. I hate that feeling it makes me glad that this was the first book I read of hers. I fell in love with the book and now I am even more excited to read her other books! I agree in the sense that so much was built up to the secret and then... "nothing!" it was a let down but in a way the utter awesomeness of the book made up for it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book! Courtney Summers is probably my favorite author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get what you mean about the subplot not living up to all buildup over it. I was really expecting something else than what Milo reveals. I didn't really see the ending coming, guess I'm as naive as Eddie. I mean the clues were there, but it just didn't hit me on the head. Which is a good thing, i think cuz then when I saw what had happened I could really feel Eddie's anger/hurt. The prose was freaking amazing!! I'd place it after SGA on my ranking of CS books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by Courtney Summers yet but I think I might just pick up her sophmore novel first. Or maybe her debut. I'm not sure--but Some Girls Are calls out to me more o.O

    Anyways, great review. It's good to hear that while the plot didn't entrace you, her writing still did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was recommended to me as a must read, and I've read a lot of good reviews. I haven't read anything by the author yet, but I definitely plan to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohmygosh Courtney Summers is love. I've been wanting to read this for so long, and wonderful to hear that it's brilliant-- but different. That's exactly what I want to hear.

    Lovely review Nomes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this one yet, but I am absolutely desperate to get my hands on it. Brilliant exploration of grief, mystery and beautiful writing? It sounds like just my thing.

    But I'm glad I've been reading reviews of it before going into it, so that I'll know that it's not Courtney Summers' usual style.

    Awesome review as always, Nomes :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved it right up until the final paragraph.

    However, I refuse to let that colour my judgement completely. The rest of the narrative was exquisitely drawn.

    Intense portrayal of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have yet to read anything by Courtney Summers, but judging by your review, seems like I need to soon. I love how in your review, you always evaluate prose and plot separately. I appreciate that because I certainly have read books where you love the writing but didn't really connect with the story.

    Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts Nomes. I will keep them in mind when deciding on which Summers book to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with everything you said about this one. I liked it the least of all of Courtney Summers' books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)