Monday, November 29, 2010

Freefall by Mindi Scott


How do you come back from the point of no return?

Seth McCoy was the last person to see his best friend, Isaac, alive, and the first to find him dead. It was just another night, just another party, just another time when Isaac drank too much and passed out on the lawn. Only this time, Isaac didn't wake up.
Convinced that his own actions led to his friend's death, Seth is torn between turning his life around . . . or losing himself completely.

Then he meets Rosetta: so beautiful and so different from everything and everyone he's ever known. But Rosetta has secrets of her own, and Seth soon realizes he isn't the only one who needs saving . . .






Those looking for an edgy male POV will enjoy Seth's voice - it's nailed really well, he's likeable despite his flaws, believable with a great blend of angst and humour. There are some scenes that I really liked, and some genuinely funny/sweet/sexy moments. Also, some of the prose was gorgeous - scenes in the rain were well done and atmospheric.

But mostly, I just feel like this didn't go anywhere. I kept hoping it would build towards some great moment but then the storyline started petering out and it all felt like a bit of an anti-climax really. 

I found the beginning lacklustre (I'm not a huge fan of the drunken party scene in books), the middle picked right up (it had some great moments) but then I feel like the climax and ending never arrived. One major plot point regarding Rosetta was not resolved - which mystified me as a lot of the book felt like it was working towards that point.


Still, it's a well written book and I think teens could really dig this. It doesn't get cheesy or melodramatic - which earned it an extra star from me. It's also a quick and honest read - although it dips into clichéd territory, it is heartfelt and genuine. 


A lot of mates have LOVED and ADORED this (and YA reviewers that I look up to) - so maybe it was just me wanting it to be more - to go deeper or to somehow be more unique (the whole dead friend, dead parents, romance from the wrong side of the tracks is nothing new - and although it was well handled - it failed to stand out for me). 


I wish I had read a review that deflated some hype before going in to reading it - perhaps I wouldn't have felt as disappointed if I had lowered my expectations. 


Recommended: If you're looking for a slightly sexy read with a romance from the wrong side of the tracks - you'll enjoy this.  It will appeal to fans of Simone Elkeles (although it is much more down to earth and not as cheesy as Elkeles can get with her romance - you guys know what I mean here... :). It's edgy - drugs, drinking and sex. Upper YA kinda stuff :)


Over @ goodreads I gave Freefall 3 stars (I liked it - but didn't fall in love)


I'd love to know your thoughts on this book if you've read it :)
I'd welcome any gushing love - I like how we all respond to books differently 

xo Nomes

14 comments:

  1. I must say you always find books that I have never heard of. I thank you for this. There are days were you need to just pick up a book that no one else can tell you about.

    There is a giveaway for Soulless and Changeless going on right now over at my blog if you are interested. It is international ;)

    I'm working on a 2011 Reading Bucket Challenge. Sign up if you find it worthy...

    Mad Scientist
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Nomes. As you know I enjoyed this book. I really liked the characters and found the romantic realtionship between Seth and Rosetta to be honest and realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I loved this book. I just finished it this morning and could not believe how attached I was to the main character. I'm sorry that you did not feel the same way! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Nic and Mrs DeRaps: Thanks for your comments! I am definitely the one out of the loop with this one :) Just mustn't be my thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey nomes.

    have just picked up "little paradise" again (and am ploughing through it at great speed!) on your recommendation and read this review this morning, came into work, checked out the reading copy cupboard and lo and behold "freefall" who knows how long it had been there without me picking it up. but now i have. it's in my bag. huzzah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book was on my wishlist. But I think I will push it down my TBR list. I hate it when books don't live up to their hype. This has happened quite a lot with me.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am sorry you were disappointed in this one. I really did love it too. It was one of the best of the Contemps novels I have read so far. Still I know there are lots of books that other have loved and I haven't so I guess that is just the way the page turns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read it, but the cover is GORGEOUS! The anti-climax sounds disappointing, though. I'm seeing a trend of that in YA...you get hooked in with the promise of a big revelation that just falls flat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH NO! This was one I was looking forward to reading. :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeek. I'm sorry you didn't love this one-and hah, I know what you mean about the cheesiness (is that a real word? hmmm.) of Simone Elkeles' romances... (those epilogues! gah!) Thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a new project starting in the blog-o-sphere that I want to get involved in, so spreading the word of greatness. I have a post up about Save a Tree, Read an E-Book.

    Mad Scientist
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com/2010/11/save-tree-rean-e-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm...romance with no real action, twisting plot or climax? Yeah, so not my thing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting. I've only heard raves of this one so far, so it's nice to see a different perpective and so well put. Maybe you've deflated it enough so that I'll love it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)