Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Queensland Premier's Literary Awards

I blogged a few weeks back with the five books that were short-listed for the YA category of the 2010 Queensland Premier's Literary Awards:


  • Phillip Gwyne -- Swerve (Penguin)
  • Justine Larbalestier -- Liar (Allen & Unwin)
  • Scott Westerfeld -- Leviathan (Simon Pulse)
  • Melina Marchetta -- The Piper's Son (Penguin)
  • Richard Yaxley -- Drink the Air (self-published)
I mentioned that I've read the top four and my favourite was The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta, although all four titles were strong contenders and worthy. 

Well...

Da dum...

The winner was announced today:

Drink the Air by Richard Yaxley (self published)

I know (!) I was pretty amazed to see a self-pubbed title up there and to see it beat such outstanding YA titles is pretty huge. CONGRATS!  - surely it may now be picked up by a publisher? I searched the net and cant find an image or synopsis of his book, but I did find the first chapter on his blog (which only has one post on it from 2009, haha.). 

And it's a verse novel.

I adore verse novels! 

My fave verse authors are Steven Herrick, Margaret Wild, Catherine Bateson and Sonya Sones. I havent yet read Patricia McCormick or Lisa Schroeder but I've heard they're brilliant.

Anyone else read verse novels? 

Also, congrats to Melina Marchetta, Scott Westerfeld & Justine Larbalestier (husband and wife) and Phillip Gwyne for making the short-list. As a consolation, Justine Larbalestier won the YA section of the Davitt Awards with her novel Liar - winners were announced today :)


Feeling a little out of the loop hanging out in Coffs while the Melbourne Writers Festival is on. Steph @ My Girl Friday took notes on Melina Marchetta's session that she attended today. Some great stuff in there about The Piper's Son and jellicoe Road and just Marchetta awesomeness in general.


From Steph:Melina has a middle-grade book out shortly. It's called The Gorgon in the Gully and it centres around Danny Griggs (the little brother of Jonah from On The Jellicoe Road) and Melina assured us there be an appearance from Jonah himself. She also commented that it was a bit difficult writing such an innocent character, having been used to very sarcastic voices in her work.

Also, Jaclyn Moriarty and Lili Wilkinson and over 400 international authors are there and I so wish I was too...

xx


5 comments:

  1. self pubbed...that is seriously amazing!!! Good for him! Look forward to checking it out one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mel. I know - i cant believe a self-pubbed title took it out. I hope someone picks it up and gets the book out there - I havent been able to find it anywhere on line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! go self publishing! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)